Implement THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Tue Apr 4 19:00:01 CDT 2006

Am Mittwoch, 5. April 2006 00:57 schrieb Con Kolivas:
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 08:27, Willie Sippel wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 4. April 2006 16:46 schrieb Andreas Mohr:
> > > Hi,

> > > Hmm, difficult :-\
> > > I don't have any game candidate here, and frankly I don't even have a
> > > current Wine install...
> >
> > No need for a full-blown game, I use this great free 5.9MB demo to test
> > audio on Wine:
> > http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=18359
> >
> > Unbearable with regular Wine (kernel 2.6.13/ amd64, gentoo r5 patchset -
> > can't test with later kernels, as there's a problem with the
> > SCSI-subsystem as of 2.6.14), just dandy with Mikes patch and
> > realtime-lsm...
>
> Interesting but not what we need. We already know that extra patches make
> it work, but we want to know what is needed to get it working without
> unnecessary addons.

Of course. I only mentioned the application because it's a nice test-app that
exposes the problem, small download, free, works pretty much perfectly on
Wine otherwise. Because Andreas mentioned he has no game installed to test.

On a side note, another demo using DSound I tested seems to work just fine
without Mike's patch or realtime-lsm, no stuttering sound. fr-025 by
Farbrausch, also available from pouet.net. And just like Instant Zen it's
quite CPU and GPU heavy, so I don't think the problem is 3D/ Nvidia-related.
Instant Zen uses OpenGL, fr-025 uses Direct3D (D3D9, IIRC).

Yet another application I tested, Reason by Propellerheads, uses neither
OpenGL/ D3D nor DSound at all and has stuttering sound, so neither 3D
graphics nor DSound seems to be the culprint...

Ciao,
Willie

--
Willie Sippel