d3d: unhandled texture formats

Jason Green jave27 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 21:13:57 CDT 2006

On 4/4/06, Raphael <fenix at club-internet.fr> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 April 2006 12:48, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> > The F.E.A.R and BF2 demos crash immediately after complaining about:
> > fixme:d3d:D3DFmtGetBpp Unhandled fmt(36,WINED3DFMT_A16B16G16R16)
> > fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 81 D3DFORMAT!
>
> Just fix it :)
>
> > I have some native dlls installed, d3dx9_*.dll, mscoree.dll... that have
> > no wine implementation.
>
> yes, no problem.
>
> > According to msdn:
> > D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16   36   64-bit pixel format using 16 bits for each
> > component.
> use  GL_RGBA16_EXT for that (GL format is GL_RGBA,GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT)
> > D3DFMT_L16                      81  16-bit luminance only.
> use GL_LUMINANCE16_EXT for that (GL format is GL_LUMINANCE,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE)

On this topic, how about floating point formats such as
D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F?  I have an app that checks for a lot of missing
float formats.  It keeps running even though that function returns
false, but there are tons of graphical bugs.  There's a comment in the
code about having to do some card-specific stuff to support this in
OpenGL (NV vs. ATI extensions).

I tried adding those formats in, but just mapping the individual float
colors over to one of the unsigned int formats (thinking that even if
the colors are wrong, they should still show up as *something* instead
of black).  However, I didn't notice any difference in the output.
Eventually wine should support these formats obviously, but is there a
simpler test app out there that could display
surfaces/textures/whatever in each color format and see which ones
work or fail?  Civ4 takes a minute just to load, and another 30
seconds to get into the game portion that fails, so it's not the ideal
test app.  :)