Pixel Shader questions

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 06:00:10 CDT 2006

On 09/04/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> 1)  The following pixel shader opcodes appear to be implemented with
> fragment_ARB, yet they are marked REQUIRE_GLSL.
> This generates errors, and they are skipped. Is this intentional?
I'm not sure why they were disabled in the first place, but they can
probably be used, yes. However, before doing that it should be
verified the opcodes are equivalent.

> 3) Is there a point at storing the OpenGL code in this large table? I
> don't like how for half the codes wined3d attempts to map them 1:1 to an
> opengl code via this table, and for the other half it doesn't use this
> field at all [ because it can't, combinations are necessary ]. Why not
> get rid of the field completely?
It should probably be replaced with something more similar to what's
used for software shaders, but it's certainly being used at the

> 4) Wined3d likes to print out comment tokens as a FIXME - can this be
> downgraded to a TRACE?
Sure. It's certainly not the only place in wined3d where a FIXME is
used but a TRACE would be more appropriate.

> 5) The d3d9 pixel shader relay says (Disabled) - this is misleading, the
> shaders are enabled.
That can be removed.

> I want to figure out why HL2 doesn't work - enabling the codes above
> does not seem to help (but looking at the generated shader output, it
> makes make more sense). HL2 has severe texturing, lighting, and sound
> problems with hardware shaders (and it's slow and unusable with the
> software ones).
There are currently several things broken with shaders, but I doubt
they are the cause for sound problems.