Pixel Shader questions

H. Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 06:00:10 CDT 2006

On 09/04/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> 1)  The following pixel shader opcodes appear to be implemented with
> fragment_ARB, yet they are marked REQUIRE_GLSL.
> This generates errors, and they are skipped. Is this intentional?
>
> D3DSIO_TEX (texld), D3DSIO_CND, D3DSIO_CMP.
I'm not sure why they were disabled in the first place, but they can
probably be used, yes. However, before doing that it should be
verified the opcodes are equivalent.

> 3) Is there a point at storing the OpenGL code in this large table? I
> don't like how for half the codes wined3d attempts to map them 1:1 to an
> opengl code via this table, and for the other half it doesn't use this
> field at all [ because it can't, combinations are necessary ]. Why not
> get rid of the field completely?
It should probably be replaced with something more similar to what's
used for software shaders, but it's certainly being used at the
moment.

> 4) Wined3d likes to print out comment tokens as a FIXME - can this be
> downgraded to a TRACE?
Sure. It's certainly not the only place in wined3d where a FIXME is
used but a TRACE would be more appropriate.

> 5) The d3d9 pixel shader relay says (Disabled) - this is misleading, the
> shaders are enabled.
That can be removed.

> I want to figure out why HL2 doesn't work - enabling the codes above
> does not seem to help (but looking at the generated shader output, it
> makes make more sense). HL2 has severe texturing, lighting, and sound
> problems with hardware shaders (and it's slow and unusable with the
> software ones).
There are currently several things broken with shaders, but I doubt
they are the cause for sound problems.