RFC/PATCH: Twain + Gphoto

Marcus Meissner meissner at suse.de
Wed Apr 12 08:53:41 CDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:50:36AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:

> > I will check how good it works as-is.
>
> http://cowbert.livejournal.com/96253.html suggests that
> twain doesn't support all the features libgphoto2 does:
> "with TWAIN you lose EXIF and filename support because
> Canon is lame with their proprietary protocols.
> Someone feel free to port gphoto2 to win32"
> Perhaps that would make direct use of libgphoto2 a win?
> I haven't verified it myself.

I yesterday tried the SANE gphoto backend...
while I could import pictures into Picasa with the code, it needs
configuring /etc/sane.d/gphoto2 with the specific camera you use and
the actual size of the image.

Nothing easy on the GUI side and I really would like to give the user
autodetection and a better GUI in the end.

What I also consider currently is restructuring DSM -> DS to allow also
native .ds drivers for native scanner and camera drivers.

While these likely will need also windows driver support it might help
open new opportunities there.

Ciao, Marcus