Wine won't show any characters after the first run

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Wed Apr 12 10:31:14 CDT 2006

I'm having a strange problem with Wine - it will not show any characters
in any windows, UNLESS I delete Wine's registry files - then it will
show characters for the first program run, but no other programs
thereafter (including repeat runs of the first program).

So, for example, I can run "winecfg" and it will show the config window,
with 2 rows of tabs, but no text anywhere. If I then delete
~/.wine/*.reg and re-run winecfg, it will show the characters, and
interestingly enough it will place the tabs in one long row rather than
2 rows. If I then run, say, regedit, it will NOT show any characters at
all. If I exit winecfg and re-run it, it will now show no characters,
and it will place the tabs into 2 rows.

I've run it with WINEDEBUG=+font and don't see anything screamingly
obvious in terms of errors.

This is with a fresh full checkout from CVS as of yesterday (11 Apr
2006), built, and installed (after removing /usr/include/wine,
/usr/lib/wine, and /usr/bin/wine*), under SuSE 9.3.

Soooo - any suggestions for things to look for?