Change threading defaults on FreeBSD

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at
Fri Apr 14 13:18:32 CDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> On FreeBSD, build wine-pthread in addition to wine-kthread and make
>> the former the default.
> If you build both, then you need a way to decide which one will be
> used. That's not the sort of detail we want to have users worry
> about.

Well, but isn't this what my patch does? ;-)  By virtue of

we build both wine-pthread and wine-kthread, and the former is installed
as $PREFIX/bin/wine; wine-kthread just is an additional binary.

Contrast this with the settings on Linux

      linux* | k*bsd*-gnu)
        AC_SUBST(EXTRA_BINARIES,"wine-kthread wine-pthread wine-preloader") ;;

where we build wine-glibc (to be installed as $PREFIX/bin/wine) and in
addition both wine-kthread and wine-pthread, and install all of these.

At least this is my understanding of MAIN_BINARY versus EXTRA_BINARIES
and checks on how Wine installs on Linux and FreeBSD (with, and without
my patch).  Did I miss (or misunderstand) something?