winebrowser: Use user's preferred browser

Marcus Meissner marcus at
Mon Apr 17 12:47:19 CDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 08:31:11AM -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
> > +        "kfmclient exec,gnome-open,kmail,mozilla-thunderbird,thunderbird,evolution";
> A Gnome user will be offended if you spool up the entire KDE environment
> just to launch a URL; a KDE user will be similarly offended by gnome-open.
> Further, if I'm a Gnome user, I may have KDE on my system, and kfmclient exec
> may work, but it's likely to not be the browser I *really* want used.
> The standard that's developing is that you don't invoke a KDE program
> unless KDE_FULL_DESKTOP is set and you don't invoke a Gnome session

You should also go looking for the distribution specific wrappers
that do this already.

On SUSE at least there is a:
	desktop-launch $URL

Not sure of its standard status, but it at least referenced
by google on some lists.

Ciao, Marcus