RFC/PATCH: Twain + Gphoto

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Tue Apr 18 16:23:41 CDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:48:30PM +0200, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 09.04.2006, 21:16 +0200 schrieb Marcus Meissner:
>
> > +EXTRALIBS = @SANELIBS@ @GPHOTO2LIBS@
>

> It was ok for twain to fail, when sane was not installed.
> IMHO, when get more alternatives, then all backends must be usable
> independent (linked dynamic).
>
> We do not want to force libsane and libgphoto2 installed on a System,
> when the user want to use twain.

Dynamic loading can be added.
TWAIN itself pretty useless, until you add windows native twain source driver
support ;)

But yes.

I now approaching this from another angle.

- Split off the SANE datasource handler from the twain_32 into
  a seperate dlls/sane.ds

- gphoto will get dlls/gphoto2.ds or similar.

- native drivers will be possible.

- twain_32 keeps the Data Source Managers parts and manages
  the Data Sources.

=> sane.ds and gphoto.ds can be installed seperately.

twain_32 will however keep some sane & gphoto autodetection logic in this approach,
basically because twain_32 (in my understanding) is a bit dumb and has a
1 driver - 1 device assumption, which is not useful for gphoto and sane.

Ciao, Marcus