SOC Idea: Easy usage of native DLLs in Linux programs

Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea) speeddymon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 18:30:36 CDT 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 4/18/06, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
>
>> so IMHO
>> this one shouldn't be judged on whether it gets checked in or not but
>> rather whether it works and how easy it is to use.
>>

> I wouldn't put it that way.  I'd continue "and if it clearly makes the world
> a happy place, Alexandre will naturally change his mind".

I agree

>> Such a thing has many uses:
>>
>> * Hosting ActiveX controls inside a native Firefox
>>

> Now that's an evil use :-)

Evil not to mention very bad idea..  ActiveX is the big cause of spyware
and some virii as far as I'm concerned, and if you put that into FF, you
are opening a whole new can of worms for ppl like cydoor and
doubleclick...  With that being said it would make it (theoretically)
possible to use the ActiveX Sun JVM for IE under FireFox, thereby
finally allowing me to play runescape in FireFox with sound..
> On the whole, I hope this happens.  It would be an interesting experiment.
> - Dan

I agree this idea is one of the best I have seen so far, and if done
properly will open up a whole new set of doors for linux users, and
probably make it a whole lot easier to convince windows users to switch,
while at the same time keeping the security issues to a minimum..

Tom