Summer of Code Project: DirectPlay

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Apr 20 08:46:41 CDT 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
[...]
>> Always wanted to see that implemented, but there's the issue of the
>> DirectPlay protocol itself, which AFAIK is undocumented.

> For the start, we don't have to be compatible with the Microsoft protocol. If
> we can get a Wine-Wine protocol, this would work too.

It seems like this would prevent you from connecting to games hosted by
commercial companies (e.g. Microsoft) as these are unlikely to install
the Wine DirectPlay library.

Or is DirectPlay never used in this way? Even so I think that when Wine
implements network protocols (DirectPlay, DCOM) it should really be
wire-compatible because requiring the other side to use our protocol is
impractical it many cases.

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Adam Luchjenbroers wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:56, H. Verbeet wrote:
>>> Or do we have a solution for that?
>>
>> Ethereal? :-)
>
> True. but how does that sit with respect to reverse engineering? Any
> potential legal issues?

Presumably not since this is essentially how Samba is being developped.

                               145 = 1! + 4! + 5!