SoC idea: improve dsound/winmm

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:17:45 CDT 2006

James Hawkins wrote:

>On 4/21/06, Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>One of the things users complain about is wine's sound quality. Problems
>>which you experience range from crackling sound in media players to buffer
>>underruns and high latencies in games.
>>
>>For a part the problem is caused by crappy audio drivers and soundcards.
>>None the less are there things in wine which can be improved to reduce the
>>issues. I don't know this part of the code well but I believe the alsa
>>driver is far from optimal and second the dsound contains some bugs too.
>>
>>In this SoC project a student would need to look into the causes of wine's
>>bad sound quality and try to improve it by fixing winealsa and other parts.
>>

>The only problem I have with this project idea is the ambiguity of
>'improve dsound/winmm'.  At what point is dsound and winmm considered
>to be improved?  It would be nice to see a list of specific items that
>need to be fixed, and I mean more specific than crackling playback and
>high latencies.  A specific project that would probably help with this
>situation is to combine all wine audio drivers into one driver,
>wineaudio.  The common functionality of the drivers can be factored
>out, reducing code size while at the same time minimizing the chance
>for more bugs.
>
>--
>James Hawkins

I have a suggestion for a clearer definition: Get Super Collapse 2 to
work in Wine without audio artifacts or a mile of dsound err code dumped
to the console.

Console output:
segin at segin ~/.wine/c/Program Files/GameHouse/Collapse II $ wine relapse
This sound card's driver does not support direct access
The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x7fd8f6e8
[*cut for breverity, it's all repetitive*]
segin at segin ~/.wine/c/Program Files/GameHouse/Collapse II $