Re-proposal: web forums

Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea) speeddymon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 10:17:00 CDT 2006

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Mike Hearn wrote:
>
>> [Let's set up web forums for wine users]
>>

> I dislike the thought of having to monitor multiple forums.
> Worse still, if a particular web forum goes offline, all its
> content is lost; not so for mailing lists, which are archived
> in multiple locations and so are much more reliable and long-lived.
> Let's keep it all in wine-users, please.
>
> If your goal is to make sure that the average person can
> get answers to his or her questions about Wine, that's
> a noble enterprise.   I would prefer a solution that doesn't
> have the reliability and usability problems of the current crop of
> web forums.  I would also prefer an evidence-based approach
> to demonstrating the problem(s) with the current situation.
> "Some people prefer web forums" is not sufficient evidence.
>
> As I've said before, Mike is brilliant but misguided :-)
> - Dan
>
> --
> Wine for Windows ISVs: http://kegel.com/wine/isv
What about just an unofficial (read 3rd party) forum but done by the
developers and users who want one?  If we do that we can knock out the
backup problems by having multiple servers serving the pages, and set it
up to sync the posts.  Then do round robin DNS (which if we do, I will
offer some of my bandwidth), to take care of load distribution...

Tom