Re-proposal: web forums

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sat Apr 22 11:13:27 CDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:49:15 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I dislike the thought of having to monitor multiple forums.

Well, it's not like non-forumers would be banned or anything :)

> Worse still, if a particular web forum goes offline, all its
> content is lost; not so for mailing lists, which are archived
> in multiple locations and so are much more reliable and long-lived.

If you mean archived in peoples inboxes, then I'd argue that this is
really not an archive at all. I don't remember ever seeing a mailing list
archive that got lost being restored from inboxes.

If you mean backups in general, nothing stops people backing up the
databases.

> "Some people prefer web forums" is not sufficient evidence.

It's hard to prove a negative like that. Obviously _some_ people post to
wine-users, but judging from other projects I'd expect there to be a lot
of others who don't, simply because they're not comfortable with mailing
lists as an interface.

The amount of traffic experienced by sites like ubuntuforums.org vs their
-user lists is a fairly compelling piece of evidence, I'd say.

thanks -mike