Re-proposal: web forums

Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea) speeddymon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 12:27:00 CDT 2006

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:49:15 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>> I dislike the thought of having to monitor multiple forums.
>>

> Well, it's not like non-forumers would be banned or anything :)
>

>> Worse still, if a particular web forum goes offline, all its
>> content is lost; not so for mailing lists, which are archived
>> in multiple locations and so are much more reliable and long-lived.
>>

> If you mean archived in peoples inboxes, then I'd argue that this is
> really not an archive at all. I don't remember ever seeing a mailing list
> archive that got lost being restored from inboxes.
>
> If you mean backups in general, nothing stops people backing up the
> databases.

I can offer to setup an FTP on my box (I have plenty of space and plan
on adding more).  Then we just need a cron script to take care of
uploading the db's nightly...

Or as an alternative, I can setup a gmail account, and register it on
the forum to receive _every_ post to the forums.  Then if we do lose the
db's its a matter of logging in and going thru all of the emails (time
consuming but not diffcult)..

Another alternative is to just have someone (me if need be) upload the
db's to their gmail inbox on a regular basis (weekly?)

And lastly, if we are going to have the forum posts go to a mailing list
anyways, gmane will archive it all, so we shouldnt have _any_ problems
with backups...