Sum-up: Re-proposal: web forums

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 22:43:41 CDT 2006

On 4/23/06, Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Solution 3:  WebForum-on-top-of-List
> ====================================
>
>   Pros:
>    ) We concentrate people, allowing web and email users to communicate.
>    ) We concentrate (archived) knowledge in one place.
>
>   Cons:
>    ) The reason that forums are often filled with spam might be that
> it's too easy to post to them.  We'd be duplicating that.

A solution to this is to have moderators, and for new users have a
delay between posts showing up on the forum and them being sent to the
list. If a moderator deletes such a post within this time, it's not
ever sent to the mailing list. Once a user has been on the forum for a
week and has made atleast a few non-spammy posts, they no longer get
moderated. You still get some spam, but for problem users you can warn
them (and maybe ban them if it's bad.)

>    ) We need to code it all ourselves!
>

> I think solution 1 is good, but I prefer the extra icing on the cake
> that comes with solution 3.
>

> Now, I'm not high on crystal meth or anything, but I'll just assume
> for a moment that we all want better accessibility for the newcomers
> (even with the rise in volume that they bring), and that all agree to
> go with solution 3 :-).  Thus I'll try to outline a battle plan:
>
> Battle-plan for solution 3
> <snip>
>
> Any holes or oversights in that plan?

Let's not make this so complex. Keep things as seperate as possible,
but don't go out of our way to make it suit every possible purpose. If
we make a complete list of things we want to implement before we
start, the development should be easy and nothing will need bolting on
after.

n0dalus.