wine through e-mail/forum/faq

Francesco Pietra frapietra at alice.it
Sun Apr 23 00:16:17 CDT 2006

I do believe that the choice among e-mail/forum/faq for wine depends on the
individual approach to wine.

For people, like me, who approach wine to solve their specific problems, and
when solved they forget about wine until a new need arises, if ever (but i am
aware my own are general problems in science) the faq solution is the best
one.

Just a couple of examples:

1) I posted a query about the feasibility of running the chemical drawing
package "chemdraw" on wine. Lack of a package on unix that allows exchanging
files with chemdraw is today the hindrance to have molecular scientists fully
to unix (linux). Not a minor gap in science because most chemdraw users do
not know unix and thrive on restrictive OSs that limit their science and
their minds.

2)I posted a query about the feasibility of running nikon film scanner through
wine, just to have the nikon coolscan V (most unfortunately my own, as
available in europe, is usb and not scsi). This is by far a minor problems
with respect to the one above but it is anyway another example of query.

Well, I got no answer (except one privately from my country). What about
access now to my queries? Practically no access, so that I have no hope to
get further help about. It might be different with faq.

I agree however that a forum may be of interest to those who approach wine per
se and have a standing supply of problems for wine.

I hope this is a contribution (although i am aware that having both faq and
forum requires having people to maintain both them). If not, forget about my
mail.

Cheers
francesco pietra