SOC project

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Apr 25 11:10:32 CDT 2006

Am Dienstag, 25. April 2006 15:38 schrieb Louis Lenders:
> Lionel Ulmer <lionel.ulmer <at> free.fr> writes:
> >>On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:35:41AM +0000, Louis Lenders wrote:
> >> wouldn't be fixing bug 2398 be an idea for SOC?
> >
> > Well, I do not really see the link between game and this bug... Bug 2398
> > does not affect any game at all (the only thing game-related it affects
> > is the NVM toolset AFAIK).
>
> It's not like that the bug should be fixed for gaming, but just because
> it's a major pain. That's why i thought it was a good idea for SOC. I just
> tested Stefan Dosinger patches and looks like this bug is also going to
> affect all ddraw applications as soon as they get merged (Videolan player
> works well with the patches but the rest of my screen turns black
> completely :( )
This will indeed affect direct3d7 apps when they render in windowed mode, just
as it already affects d3d8 and d3d9 apps nowadays. But for D3D, this can be
easier fixed because WineD3D has full control over the gl viewport. I expect
that this can work around the placement issue and size of the rendering, but
not the problems with overlapping.

OpenGL accelerated DirectDraw(2D) won't work for windowed rendering, because
apps render to a normal offscreen surface then, and it will be very tricky
and prone to errors to detect which surface to use as the opengl back buffer.
However, the usual software directdraw should work as usual, and full screen
ddraw can be accelerated with opengl.