James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:06:40 CDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I am reading what you said above, you basically want to for example, take
> fruity loops, figure out what it does when you do various things (by tracing
> that app's execution), then using that trace, write our own code to produce
> an _identical_ trace, and then use that code to make patches to other areas
> of wine..

While reading through traces can give you some idea of what a
particular app or native dll is doing, trying to match traces
identically is a bad way to go about achieving interoperability.  For
one, traces just output one particular code path, and leaves you with
no idea about what else there is to implement.  A better method is to
use the traces as one tool in a larger toolkit to understand what is
going on behind the scenes then implement your own version of the code
that has the same outcome (usually not the same trace.)

James Hawkins