SOC project

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Tue Apr 25 17:53:56 CDT 2006

Am Mittwoch, 26. April 2006 01:10 schrieb Raphael:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 17:26, Willie Sippel wrote:

> > > It's not like that the bug should be fixed for gaming, but just because
> > > it's a major pain. That's why i thought it was a good idea for SOC. I
> > > just tested Stefan Dosinger patches and looks like this bug is also
> > > going to affect all ddraw applications as soon as they get merged
> > > (Videolan player works well with the patches but the rest of my screen
> > > turns black completely :( )
> >
> > I'm with you. This is the single most annoying regression I've ever seen
> > in Wine. As  this seems to be top-priority anyway, it's one of the best
> > possible SOC candidates (this and a DIB engine), given that most regular
> > devs that might be able to fix the regression don't seem all too
> > motivated to really touch that issue. Who cares if games take a slight
> > performance hit, if a fix would unbreak lots and lots of applications
> > that used to work - an acceptable tradeoff, IMHO...
>
> Well implemented OpenGL applications works:
> http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=42
>
> if anyone can find a simple sample who reproduce the problem we can look
> how to fix it (and if impact can be sufficient for a SoC project)

The bug report lists quite a few applications that show the problem. Sorry, I
don't know any simple sample, but a few freeware applications and demos
affected by the regression, for example:
DAZ|Studio: http://studio.daz3d.com/
Luxology Modo: http://luxology.com/user/secure/eval/account.aspx

A few open source applications might be affected as well, But I can't test
anything myself anymore, due to another OpenGL regression (BadMatch/
X_GLXMakeCurrent).
SharpConstruct: http://sharp3d.sourceforge.net/
Wings 3d: http://www.wings3d.com/

--