Time to commit remote ops for VirtualAllocEx, CreateRemoteThread

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Aug 4 15:15:36 CDT 2006

On 8/4/06, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> > Tommy's APC version of his
> > VirtualAllocEx / CreateRemoteThread patch
> > seems to be safe (since APCs only run a points where threads
> > in well-written programs are not holding locks),
>
> Unfortunately there's no such guarantee, kernel APCs will run on every
> wait. Unless you meant user APCs which only run on alertable waits,

Whoops.  I meant user APCs, and I thought Tommy was using
user APCs, but I see now he's using system APCs.  Drats.

> but this means they would essentially never run.

If it's true that no windows app enters an alertable wait condition normally,
then I guess APCs (without a service thread) are out.

How about a custom windows message?   ALL gui programs
have a message pump, so that has a better chance of actually getting through.
- Dan