RFC: XEmbed Systray Patches

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Sun Aug 6 22:10:19 CDT 2006

Hello everyone,
After a long hiatus, I'm trying again to get XEmbed systray support into
Wine. I've been working on it for the past few days and I've got these
patches. These are based on the system tray code from the Wine version
used in the Linux port of Picasa [1] (which in turn was based on the
work of Mike Hearn and Rob Shearman.) These patches are basically the
same thing, with some fixes:

1. Use proper wine_tsx11 locking.
2. Clean up inappropriate C++ comments in that code.
3. Properly populated the XEvent structure to send docking messages.
(According to the XEmbed systray spec [2], any unused fields in the
message must be set to 0.)
4. Broken into five atomic patches against today's GIT.

In my testing on Gnome 2.14, these patches dock much more reliabaly than
the last ones, but they're still not quite perfect. In most cases,
programs dock fine until about the seventh consecutive run (behavior
observed with Steam and a small test program I wrote.) However, I
noticed that it works perfectly if I enabled a +x11drv trace, so I
suspect that this has something to do with stack problems, but I've been
unable to find the source of the problem. I'd appreciate it if someone
could give me some assistance on tracking down this issue.

If you'd like to test these, please apply them in the order that they're
numbered. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Thnaks,
James Liggett

[1]: http://code.google.com/wine.html
[2]: