wineconsole: command line option output / default user backend

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Aug 8 08:47:46 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 04:18, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Eric Pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> writes:
> > also changing the default to user is a bad idea... especially for
> > users wanting to run a text only win32 app from a linux console
> > without X started
>
> I think that's a very small minority

On my dev boxes, about 95% of the CPU time used up by wine is solely for
running windows command line applications such as Visual Studio and Zilog's
ZDS II compilers under linux and I'd be sorely pissed off if they suddenly
stopped working. Popping up console windows is equal to not working for me.

I'm logging their output and using them for automated builds (under aegis) on
hosts where DISPLAY is empty and there's no X server present. I can't see why
you'd need X and console windows in order to run those. That's a big step
backwards.

Also, I'd love it a lot if all the ncurses crap was avoided. The compilers
output plain text on the standard output (whatever that is on windows). I'd
hate to have some terminal crap inserted into that.

I know that not too many people are using wine like that, but right now it
works fine and I'd kindly ask for it to keep working, rather than get broken.

If anyone needs me to put money where my mouth is, I offer $100 via PayPal if
someone in charge wants financial coercion to avoid putting in the
X/graphical/ncurses crap for console applications. I'm dead serious.

Cheers, Kuba