RFC: XEmbed Systray Patches

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Thu Aug 10 13:47:33 CDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 00:16 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> You can always stick some needed field in the X11DRV private data (you
> can see how to access that in the code itself).
OK--I apologize for being so dumb. it's the server reply that needs the
extended styles field, not X11DRV_win_data. Sorry to waste your time.

I think I've finally got this one figured out. The results from two days
ago turned out to be false positives because:

1. I wasn't checking for the tray style right (Didn't get the extended
styles when I needed to; I was trying to check for WS_EX_TRAYWINDOW in
the regular styles flag--argh! I've fixed that now.)

2. I noticed that the patches (without the right mapping fixes) work
properly (for some strange reason) after I killed metacity about 2 or 3
times to get rid of those pesky systray adaptor windows that don't go
away.

Now that I've fixed the mapping and properly check extended styles for
the tray icon flag, the icons dock perfectly. I ran my test app 100
times in a row, and it worked every time! :) I haven't had to kill
metacity once (Honest!)

I'll get the patches together and send an update.

Thanks for all your help,
James