Fwd: RFC: OpenGL x11drv rewrite (WoW fix)

Raphael fenix at club-internet.fr
Sat Aug 19 09:39:06 CDT 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 19:57, you wrote:
> Hi Raphael,

Hi Roderick,

sorry for late response i was in holidays (and before that a long moving to my
new apartment)

> I'm not sure how well you are monitoring the wine-devel lists these days,
> so I'm also directing this mail directly to you. I have been trying to fix
> various problems in the Wine OpenGL code. See the attached email and the
> patch for more info.
>
> Basicly I changed the opengl code to only advertise the format of wine's
> main visual. I think the changes I made are more or less correct to
> Alexandre changes like this sounded correct aswell. But as he isn't an
> OpenGL expert he wanted to know the opinion of others and especially from
> people who know the code well.
>
> I already asked Lionel but he said that he isn't that familiar with the
> current code which you rewrote a while ago. To Lionel the format
> advertising change sounded correctly aswell although he hasn't checked the
> code.
>
> Could you comment on the patch? (reply to the wine-devel list)
>
> Regards,
> Roderick Colenbrander

> -------- Original-Message --------
> Datum: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:04:52 +0200
> From: "Roderick Colenbrander" <thunderbird2k at gmx.net>
> To: wine-devel at winehq.org
> Subject: RFC: OpenGL x11drv rewrite (WoW fix)
>
> Hi,

<snip>

For me your patch seems correct

Anyway the problem is you can add regression in cases:
 - application want a very specific needs that isn't compatible with current
selected visual (use of SetPixelFormat before first CreateContext, now you
don't care about user wanted PixelFormat)
 - application wants to create many context with not compatible pixel format
(supported on windows)

So you may restore many of the original problems but fixed the more
problematic problem of BadMatch :)

What it'll be interesting to do next is to move all low-level GLW/GLX
utilities calls to x11drv to permit better access to x11drv internals (and to
permit better portability on non GLX os, and better share with wined3d). This
will help a lot for the famous bug of openGL chils windows.

And after that, when user use the SetPixelFormat API, find a way to change the
default created wine visual (use of SetPixelFormat is only permited once on
windows).
The problem is that visual is created by default before the application
specify it's needs (ie. when the windows is created).
We have the same problem for WineD3D, many games create a window and after
want to choose a specific frame buffer (and if not compatible with current
visual -> problem)

I wanted to delay this visual creation (or better dynamically change this on
X, if permited) but no chance (same problem for glwShareLists) :(

Keep your good job :)

Best Regards,
Raphael