WineDBG / dbghelp symbol problem

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 01:25:23 CDT 2006

Dbghelp looks for the ELF module in the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment

variables, while the internal loader relies on WINEDLLPATH and the default
DLL dir (or the build one). You could work around this by setting one of
those variables.
Dbghelp needs to be updated to follow the loader's rules from libwine (I'll
do it later on this week)
A+

2006/8/20, Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at gmx.net>:

> Hi Eric,
>
> One of my wine development machines is running a 64bit version of Debian.
> In case of debian all 32bit libraries and programs are installed in a 32bit
> 'chroot' /emul/ia32-linux. Wine is installed there aswell and further the
> 32bit libs from the chroot environment are in the library path. Wine itself
> works fine but when some program crashes winedbg doesn't produce very
> usefull information.
>
> For instance a 'bt' using 'winedbg notepad' should give something like:
> 0x603984f7 start_process+0xe7 [/usr/src/wine/dlls/kernel/process.c:822] in
> kernel32: movl       %edi,0x0(%esp)
> 822             ExitProcess( entry( peb ) );
>
> On this system I get something like:
> Wine-dbg>bt
> Backtrace:
> =>1 0x603984f7 (0x603984f7)
> 2 0x60022657 (0x60022657)
>
> Further I notice lots of lines like this:
> fixme:dbghelp:SymLoadModule Should have successfully loaded debug
> information for image c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
> fixme:dbghelp:SymLoadModule Should have successfully loaded debug
> information for image c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
>
> I think that the cause of the problem lies in here as I don't see these
> lines on a standard 32bit system. Further if I install wine into a standard
> /usr/local prefix, winedbg works ok aswell. It shows the correct information
> and the SymLoadModule lines don't fail either.Most likely there's some
> path issue in dbghelp.
>
> I have tried to look at the code but it is a big maze to me. Perhaps you
> have an idea where the problem can be.
>
> Regards,
> Roderick Colenbrander
> --