LOSTWAGES: Replace references to CVS with Git

Jeff Latimer lats at yless4u.com.au
Mon Aug 21 06:22:24 CDT 2006

Mike McCormack wrote:

> Jeff Latimer wrote:
>
>> If CVS goes, is there another way to see what patches have been
>> applied to the tree?  The git does not seem to do that for me and
>> cvs.winehq.org is a fairly easy lookup.
>

> If you have a local git tree, "git whatchanged" will give you the
> complete commit history.
>
> There's also the GitWeb interface at: http://source.winehq.org/git/
>
> If you like graphical interfaces, try "gitk" on your local repository.
>
> These are all described at http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine.
>
> I expect that CVS will go away sooner or later.  Git is a better way
> to manage Wine's source code, and we should encourage people to use it.
>
> Mike

Mike I suppose that the problem is that wrapping your mind around git
and working out how to handle patches, especially as it takes time to
get them accepted, revert them and manage trees etc is difficult.  I
don't know about other but I have had a number of perplexing and
utimately complete re cloning sessions to recover from problems with
creating patches and comits etc.  Hence git whatschanged has been of
limited value.  Given my experiences, I think it is going to be quite a
step to start up in the future with git.

Jeff