Fwd: RFC: OpenGL x11drv rewrite (WoW fix)

Aric Cyr Aric.Cyr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 22:13:12 CDT 2006

Raphael <fenix <at> club-internet.fr> writes:
> > This would solve the issues. I was also thinking about layering WineD3D on
> > top of WGL also for the sake of portability and it will allow us to use
> > WineD3D on Windows for testing purposes. It would be usefull if our opengl
> > can atleast handle windowed rendering. I don't know the code that well to
> > change it.
>
> Problem with WineD3D on top of WGL is that we lost many of usefull APIs
> I think WineD3D on top of x11drv (as WGL on top of x11drv) should a the better
> way

Like what APIs?  I did a patch (never published though) of porting wined3d to
wgl... it worked fine and there was no problems.  The only thing it does require
is more strict coding guidelines so as to totally eliminate all glX calls and
use their wgl alternatives.  There should only be a few places where wined3d
actually uses glX/wgl so there is no solid reason winded3d couldn't be layered
on wgl which is then layered on x11drv.

The biggest issue I had when porting was the OpenGL extensions.  All extensions
had to be called through the wgl thunks to get the calling conventions right,
but that isn't hard, just a little extra initial work.

- Aric