DIB Engine

satyr_22901 at yahoo.com satyr_22901 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 07:28:23 CDT 2006

--- Christoph Frick <frick at sc-networks.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 03:57:43AM -0700, satyr_22901 at yahoo.com
> wrote:
>
> > I've recently tried to play Heroes of Might and Magic IV under
> Wine,
> > which has very poor performance and this message it printed out
> many,
> > many times after the game is started:
> >
> > fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_BitBlt potential optimization - client-side DIB
> > copy
>
> assuming that this is the real problem for the poor performance you
> might squeeze quite some speed out if you get rid of the FIXMEs by
> redirecting the output to /dev/null. if there are really _lots_ of
> errors like this it takes quite some time to render them depending on
> your terminal.

Redirecting output to /dev/null doesn't buy any (noticeable) speed.  I
mentioned the message being repeated rather often as I suspect that the
optimization the fixme is suggesting may be what is needed to speed up
homm4, not that the printing of the message itself is slowing down the
game. ;)

> at least this reminds me, that i wanted to test homm3 with wine as
> the native version no longer works with current
> linux/glibc/64-bit/godknowswhy.

Not surprising it is broken;  I have the Linux version of Heavy Gear 2,
and it won't run without pulling old versions of the libraries it needs
(like freetype1) from a 32-bit system.... and even then--and also a
couple of years ago running it on a newer 32-bit system--using the r300
DRI driver led to corrupted text... but that's getting way off topic
and has nothing to do with using Wine or even running closed-source
native Linux games... lol

 - Brian

--------
Jen: Wings? I don't have wings!