LOSTWAGES: Replace references to CVS with Git

Jeff Latimer lats at yless4u.com.au
Fri Aug 25 09:16:11 CDT 2006

Jeff Latimer wrote:

> Mike I suppose that the problem is that wrapping your mind around git
> and working out how to handle patches, especially as it takes time to
> get them accepted, revert them and manage trees etc is difficult.  I
> don't know about other but I have had a number of perplexing and
> utimately complete re cloning sessions to recover from problems with
> creating patches and comits etc.  Hence git whatschanged has been of
> limited value.  Given my experiences, I think it is going to be quite
> a step to start up in the future with git.
>
> Jeff

Following on from this.  I have been engaged in the git migration as of
a couple of days ago.  The documentation seems somewhat light on for a
novice in git.  I have a patch that Alexandre modified and when I get
fetch and git rebase origin I am told to fix the merge problems, which I
have.  However after that I end up with this:

[hhh at frank wing]$ git rebase --continue
You must edit all merge conflicts and then
mark them as resolved using git update-index

I also have the options of git rebase --abort and git rebase --skip
which I am not sure of the effect of in this or any other circumstance.

My reading of git update-index man pages, wiki or web leaves me none the
wiser as to what to do next.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jeff