Firefox-1.5.x on Wine slow on javascript-heavy pages

Aaron Slunt tonglebeak at
Sun Dec 3 19:08:28 CST 2006

On my family computer, which runs windows xp, js is incredibly slow on
firefox with pages such as gmail. as well.

550mhz P3.

I wouldn't think it's necessarily a wine issue moreso than a hardware issue,
or the fact that javascript can be cpu intensive.

On 12/3/06, Dan Kegel <dank06 at> wrote:
> I've been using Firefox-1.5.x again on wine
> (using the winehq packages for Ubuntu)
> on my dual 650MHz system as my main browser
> again for the last few months.  It's working quite
> well... except that javascript-heavy pages/apps like
> gmail are a tad sluggish at accepting keyboard input.
> For some reason,'s main page is also sluggish;
> they must do something fancy.
> Both are fine with native firefox on this system.
> I'm sure this won't affect anyone with a modern
> system, but it is kind of sad that my trusty
> old dual CPU system isn't up to daily tasks
> anymore.  Sniff... ah, well, I see Fry's has
> amd64 4000 motherboard/cpu combos for $189,
> guess it's time to upgrade.
> At some point it'd be nice to look into why Firefox's
> javascript is slow under Wine, though.
> - Dan

Tired of being hammered by spyware, or want to browse the internet in a
whole new way? Download Firefox and enjoy a much better internet experience.