[Wine] Re: Difference Between WINE and an Emulator

Edward Savage epssyis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 19:59:43 CST 2006

>An emulator is a specific type of program that mimics hardware. Windows
> is not a piece of hardware, ergo Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's merely a
> clone of the Windows API.

This is probably the best answer you will get that is clear and simple.  Out
of interest the term I use to explain to others the concept is that WINE is
a compatibility layer between Linux and Windows.  Does that seem an accurate
use of the word? It tends to set the right impression in the minds of the
people I've explained it too.