fonts:add "framework" for tahoma font

Matt Finnicum mattfinn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 11:43:09 CST 2006

On 12/10/06, Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> "Steven Edwards" <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greenville is virtually abandonware and while its not really possible
> > to claim the font was ripped of it still was being developed under the
> > umbrella of the ReactOS project. Even if work on it is revised and
> > completed, until the situation with ReactOS changes I doubt it would
> > make it in to winehq.
>
> Greenville's face is substantially is different from Tahoma, the only
> thing which is similar to Tahoma is character widths, which makes
> Greenville a compatible replacement of Tahoma. Since I worked for
> a publishing company for 10 years, and I know how the font faces are
> being created, I should say that although Greenville has been developed
> (formally) for ReactOS I don't think that that fact should make it less
> useable outside of it.

Is there an official policy on whether or not Greenville would be
accepted into Wine? Way back in September 2004 (and quoted in WWN 241
[1]) it was said that Greenville was written in some expensive program
other that fontforge - is that hindering its inclusion?

--Murph

[1] http://www.kernel-traffic.org/wine/wn20040924_241.txt