Running winetest on Vista

Kevin Koltzau kevin at plop.org
Sun Dec 17 10:15:51 CST 2006

On Sunday 17 December 2006 10:46 am, Paul Vriens wrote:
> While investigating that (several hours up to now) I found (not 100%
> sure though) that if an executable (like our setupapi_test.exe) has the
> word setup in it and is not properly signed, Vista starts
> complaining !!!
>
> Just copying our setupapi_test.exe to paul.exe makes it possible to run
> 'paul.exe --list'.
>
> Any ideas about the latter?

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/00d04415-2b2f-422c-b70e-b18ff918c2811033.mspx?mfr=true
Search for "Installer Detection Technology"

one of the criteria is 'Filename includes keywords like "install," "setup," "update," etc.'

The solution appears to involve adding a manifest to the setupapi_test.exe containing
<requestedExecutionLevel
   level="asInvoker"
   uiAccess="false"/>
which will prevent vistas installer detection heuristics from kicking in