OpenGL as child windows

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sun Dec 31 03:14:39 CST 2006

On Sunday December 31 2006 08:12, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On 12/31/06, Chris Robinson <chris.kcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The topic of getting OpenGL to show and use more visuals/pixel formats
> > than just the one the main window uses came up on IRC, and I was told to
> > make a post here. One of the ideas was to create a child window of the
> > main X window (which can be given a different visual) and have OpenGL use
> > that for drawing.
> >
> > A simple test program I wrote (using X) seems to behave well. The child
> > window stays relative to the parent, it remains fully connected (even
> > with the wobbly effects of compositors like Beryl), and it can use a
> > different visual. Since wgl is now a part of x11drv, it should be
> > possible to make an X11 child window. Are there any problems with using
> > this approach in Wine?
>
> AFAIK there is no technical problems, only political ones. Wine no
> longer allows subwindows to be X11 windows. I've heard Alexandre
> Julliard won't accept such patches.

	Why not? There is no harm to create X11 subwindows for OpenGL windows. Also
this is only real and correct solution (without performance penalties) for
this problem and this is how all Linux programs with OpenGL child windows
works (GoogleEarth for Linux for example which has same interface as in its
Windows version). At least I do not know any good solution of this problem
without creating X11 subwindow.