wined3d PS 2.0/TexMem/Config Window Patch

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 18:08:38 CST 2006

Vitaliy Margolen wrote:

>Saturday, February 4, 2006, 3:33:50 PM, Brian Hill wrote:
>

>>* User-selectable texture memory reporting.  The current CVS version is
>>hardcoded to report 64 megabytes of graphics card texture memory.  I
>>

>We still need to make an attempt to detect it. Overriding it this way
>doesn't really make it more universal. From what I see it will be
>another way to users to select as much as there is and brake textures
>totally.

I have an idea, although it probably won't work for the majority of the
cases: Get the vram size from the X config file. If it is set, the X
will work as if that is the absolute amount of memory, and if we use
that when it's set, well, nothing more can truly break, cause all
breakage resulting from that would be X or PEBKAC (user) error in the
config.

Of course this means we would have to code in a parser for the X11
config, and hard-code in X config paths, but it wouldn't be too hard, as
most users have similar X config/enviroments/installs, and those that
have the different ones are probably using something other than Linux
(so we can expect them to know what's going on).

Good, structured comments on this are good, but please send the flames
to /dev/null.