Exec-Shield / Prelinking Issue - Please help =/

Joey Robinson jsrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 03:14:05 CST 2006

Greetings,

I'm experiencing in issue with the latest Wine on Fedora Core 4, latest
kernel and all latest drivers available.

I'm attempting to run World of Warcraft, after compiling a custom build of
wine, with instructions outlined at
http://wiki.kaspersandberg.com/doku.php?id=howtos:wine:worldofwarcraft

Everything compiles fine, and I'm able to run wine to generat the
~/home/user/.wine directory

The problem comes when I try to run the mozilla patcher, I receive an error
that says:

[inferno at localhost ~]$ cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/
[inferno at localhost World of Warcraft]$ wine WoW.exe -opengl
err:virtual:map_image Image was mapped at 0xda0000: standard load address
for a Win32 program (0x00400000) not available
err:virtual:map_image Do you have exec-shield or prelink active?
wine: could not load L"C:\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\WoW.exe" as
Win32 binary
[inferno at localhost World of Warcraft]$

--

I've checked all available settings, and I have fully disabled Prelinking
and Exec-Shield to the best of my knowledge.

I've added b /usr/lib{,64}/wine to /etc/prelink.conf
I've set prelink to no in /sysconfig/prelink and restarted prelink
And I did a set kernel.exec-shield = 0 in sysctl.conf

The issue persists, I've also tried manually installing the Mozilla files
from a different library which worked fine, but I continue to get the error
even when trying to run "wine -WoW.exe -opengl"

Does anyone have any advice? I would be eternally grateful for a direction
to go in. Cedega will not work for WoW for me, as it has a persistant D3D
issue and bad OpenGL support. Wine is my only option. Thank you very much in
advance!