[AppDB] modify installs and runs fields

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:28:17 CST 2006

On 2/6/06, Tony Lambregts <tony.lambregts at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike McCormack wrote:
>

> > Actually it appears other share my altered sense of reality.
> >
> > World Of Warcraft 1.3.0  is the top ranking "Gold" application, yet it
> > requires mfc42, msvcp60.dll and possibly some patches to run.
> >
> > MS Money is also in the Gold list and requires DCOM95 and IE6.
> >
> > Are you really sure people understand what your definition of Gold is?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> Crap!!!
>
> Well http://appdb.winehq.org/help/?topic=maintainer_ratings spells it
> out that gold is just that.
>
> An application can be rated as Gold if it installs and runs "out of the
> box".
>
> Some maintainers may have a distorted or over optimistic opinion of
> their application. So we need to clean that up and change these "False
> Gold" applications to "Silver"
>
> If anyone else knows of any other "False Gold" applications please let
> us know.  appdb at winehq.org

Well, don't re-judge an app just based on user submitted test info.  I
still get people saying they use native msvcrt.dll when they don't
have to.  Also in the area of no-cd cracks, it's still pretty wild.
I've found that I don't need them but some people still need them.
Also there have been many reports coming in about problems that trace
back to their sound drivers.

I've rated my apps gold because I truly don't have any trouble, but
there seems to be issues beyond the control of wine that makes some
users experiences less than gold.  I've tried my best to help everyone
but it's really hard when I can't see what's going on and the user has
hardly any debugging experience.