VC++ demangling tool

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 08:01:26 CST 2006

Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:31:23PM +0100, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
>
>>Am Dienstag, den 07.02.2006, 22:48 +0100 schrieb Michael Stefaniuc:
>>
>>>Why not make winedump a Wine app
>>
>>Please do not do that.
>>winedump now works on windows without an wine-specific dll.
Huh? Who said something about using a wine-specific dll? Though i do not
know if the imagehlp and dbghelp dlls come by default with Windows. But
i figure you should be able to get them with the SDK.
What makes more sense is to say that winedump runs on any POSIX or maybe
even standard C systems without requiring the Wine overhead.

> I second that.
> winedump has the potential to become a very powerful yet small universally
> usable tool. Adding a hard wine dependency would hurt a lot.
"Has the potential" like in HR speak in job references meaning "has the
potential but failed to use it" ... . Just do a cvs log on
tools/winedump/msmangle.c and dlls/msvcrt/undname.c .
I see the technical reasons why winedump needs it's own name demangling
(the mangled name is easier to parse and generate code out of it). But
for getting a human readable demangled name the __unDName() function is
WAY better. If that's not the target audience for "winedump sym" then
there is space for a Wine app that can be called undname.

bye
	michael

Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart