wine on Intel Xeon processor

Coleman Kane ckane at intellitree.com
Fri Feb 10 11:25:27 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 10:51 -0600, Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin
Navea) wrote:
> Hi, sorry I didnt reply all so it would go to the wine list.
>
> Is your Xeon a dual core, or possibly even 64-bit?  I doubt that 64-bit
> compared to 32-bit would make a difference, but if the Xeon is a dc, it
> might, as I recall another thread here saying that they were having
> problems with a dual core system being slower.
>
> The only other thing I can think of (of course I'm not that far along
> with my programming skill, and I doubt it will make much difference
> anyway) is what kind of machine the application and the dll were
> compiled on.  If you have the source for either of those, and have
> access to a xeon that is running windows (2003 server?) and can compile,
> i'd suggest trying that, otherwise, I have no clue.
>
> HTH
>
> Tom

If memory serves me right, many of the dual-core intel chips share some
on-chip components (such as the total cache). You'd get all of the cache
lines allocated to one chip in UP, and divided among the cores in SMP.
There are probably other resources on the chip for which this is the
case... perhaps that is a source of your slowness?

--
coleman kane