DSOUND bugs

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Wed Feb 15 02:23:53 CST 2006

Jesse Allen wrote:
> On 2/13/06, Tomas Carnecky <tom at dbservice.com> wrote:
>> I'm really wondering why nobody has fixed the DSOUND buffer underrun bugs..
>>
>> I get lots of these message when I run World of Warcraft:
>> err:wave:wodPlayer_ProcessMessages pcm_pause failed: Input/output error
>> err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x7fda2038
>>

> The problem is known.  It has to do with wine, increasing thread
> priority, and linux kernel.  Right now, the only way is to have root
> privileges.  This is not really considered a solution for wine.

I don't think this has anything to do with the kernel or the thread
priority.
I have installed vlc for windows, then tried to play a song. Went fine,
then I changed to the wine git directory and started compiling wine
(make -j5), and then it started skipping. But then I started rhythmbox
and played a song and that worked fine. So any linux-native alsa
application works fine even if the system is under heavy load.

maybe there is a delay between the application and wineserver, or
someone is holding a lock and doesn't let dsound mix the buffers.

Is the ALSA driver really considered incomplete? Is the OSS driver
better? I can't really use OSS because I also need to run TeamSpeak, and
aoss32 doesn't work with wine.

tom