Startup time of OOo2, Firefox 1.5. Some surprises.

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Feb 15 09:33:47 CST 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:46:02PM +0000, michael meeks wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 11:34 -0500, Dimi Paun wrote:
> > > As you say though - convincing Ulrich it is a good idea
> > > is the main challenge here :-)
> >
> > What's the status of that effort BTW? :)
>
> 	Hard to say; the sole insightful prognostication available is:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-10/msg00437.html
>
> 	which doesn't inspire much hope of constructive engagement really.

Well, but that was a rather rough-shot reply, and your reply to that
(if it was valid) was quite important, so for now it seems he doesn't have
too much of a point here. Not to mention that application startup time
still *is* a bottleneck on Linux, so there should be more effort to
reduce that. I want to keep using my 450MHz box for some more decades ;)

BTW, did you do some oprofile runs of app startup?

Andreas Mohr

--
No programming skills!? Why not help translate many Linux applications!
https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta