Startup time of OOo2, Firefox 1.5. Some surprises.

Dan Kegel dank at
Wed Feb 15 13:51:59 CST 2006

On 2/15/06, Dimi Paun <dimi at> wrote:
> From: "michael meeks" <michael.meeks at>
> > So my personal feeling (having never used it) is that prelink is a pain
> > to setup, maintain, get distros running with, fragments the disk etc.
> > etc. ;-) [ but this is all 2nd hand angst ].
> I run FC4, and AFAIK it is implemented on that system.
> I must say however that I was never aware of it, which
> is pretty cool. Don't know how much it helps (I still
> feel the startup of pretty much everything needs work),
> but at least it doesn't get in the way.

Prelinking only helps in situations where you build
once and run many times.

When you're developing large systems, however, you
tend to build once and run once.   In these situations
prelinking helps not at all.
- Dan

Wine for Windows ISVs: