Possibly crazy idea to deal with memory layout problems once and for all

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Sat Feb 18 01:25:47 CST 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 15:21, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> more specific about what is the real problem here? From what I know this
> patch is to fix WoW (Blizard's bad assumption about place where memory
> will be allocated). And possible few other games (that make the same
> exact assumption).

Without the hack, Age of Mythology gets an out of memory error in the current
git code even before it gets to the main menu. There is sufficient memory,
it's just that everything above TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE is badly fragmented  so
that there is no unmapped virtual address space of sufficient size in the
available range.

I would be surprised to see an app care about what is in bit 30 of an address
- bit 31 perhaps, but bit 30 should not make a difference except perhaps in
the case of comparing unassociated pointers. Is this infererence about WoW
based on discovering code that has such a sensitivity?