add configure options to control support of misc packages

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Feb 18 13:09:15 CST 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 08:46, Mike McCormack wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > this patch adds a bunch of --without-FOO options to configure ... some
> > are very simple (like the sane/xml checks) while some others are slightly
> > more involved
>
> What's the point of crippling Wine like this?

the default behavior is not changed in any way ... and the point isnt to
cripple, but to offer control

the point of the patch is to allow people to have finer control over the
featureset of wine ... for example, you wish to build on one machine but
deploy on others, you cannot be sure what features wine will require if the
build env has many more packages than the target host env

another example would be what i do with my machine ... i sometimes keep some
packages like ldap and jack installed on my box in case i need to test them,
but i generally never want anything else using them in case i happen to punt
them ... atm i would need to analyze the configure script and export some
cache vars in order to prevent ldap/jack support from being enabled, but with
the patch all i would need to do is `./configure --without-ldap
--without-jack`
-mike