Idea for reducing the number of duplicate bugs

n0dalus n0dalus+wine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:15:29 CST 2006

On 2/24/06, Tom Spear <speeddymon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something like <h2><font color=red>Please check the AppDB to see if there is
> a workaround for a problem you are encountering with a specific
> program.</font></h2> should work for all but the main bug submit page, and
> there we should put javascript:alert('Please check the AppDB to see if there
> is a workaround for a problem you are encountering with a specific
> program.'); into the body so that it shows each time they load the page..
> Maybe we could make is a question pop up when they hit the submit button
> instead, and if thye hit yes, then it submits the bug, if not, it either
> redirects them to the appdb, or back to the bug submit page.
>
> Hopefully most of you will agree and it will get put in.

I really don't think this would reduce bug duplicates. For one thing,
bugs are bugs and should be filed in the database. Even if there's a
workaround in the AppDB that says how to get a program working, it
doesn't mean that the underlying issue shouldn't be fixed.

I also think that having any kind of popup in the way will just annoy
people, and most people will ignore it anyway

n0dalus.