Palm Desktop conduits through Wine?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Fri Feb 24 12:38:55 CST 2006

Am Freitag, 24. Februar 2006 04:29 schrieb Rich Gilson:
> Has there every been any luck/attempts at running Palm Desktop conduits
> through wine?  I'd drop Palm Desktop altogether, but I have Documents-To-Go
> and Passwords Plus, which both only run through Palm Desktop.
You can write a sort of Palm Desktop replacement, which loads the conduit dlls
and offers the Palm Desktop API to them. The calls can be forwarded to a
Linux app, e.g. pilot-link. This way you can replace Palm Desktop by
pilot-link + a Winelib app which links the conduit and pilot-link. I think
such a program/lib would be out of Wine's scope, as Palm Desktop isn't a part
of Windows, instead it would belong more to pilot-link. I've played with this
idea some time ago, but I dropped it because of a lack of time.

Palm Desktop sort of works in Wine. You can't run the Palm.exe app, but
hotsync works. USB doesn't work, but you can do a network sync. Configure
your palm to sync with 127.0.0.1, tell hotsync to listen to that port, and
start pi-nredir(part of pilot-link) to forward the USB connection to the
network.

Installing Palm Desktop is not easy, because you need to install MSIE 6.
Documents-To-Go needed a native Microsoft Installer the last time I installed
it. This was a few months ago, so this is most likely not true today. (If you
search the mailing list archives, you'll find a more detailed description)

Syncing works quite good, the biggest problem I found was that DocsToGo
doesn't support the OpenOffice formats, so I had to convert all documents to
the MS Office format and vice versa. The ultimate solution would be a
replacement for the DocsToGo application which understands OpenDocument. Or
to ask DataViz for a Linux converter ;)