Licensing question

Daniel Remenak dtremenak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 11:53:23 CST 2006

Dan Kegel is correct.  You can create a DLL containing LGPL code and
load it from a proprietary application, as long as the source to the
DLL is distributed.

>From the LGPL Preamble:

"This license, the GNU Lesser General Public License, applies to
certain designated libraries, and is quite different from the ordinary
General Public License. We use this license for certain libraries in
order to permit linking those libraries into non-free programs.

"When a program is linked with a library, whether statically or using
a shared library, the combination of the two is legally speaking a
combined work, a derivative of the original library. The ordinary
General Public License therefore permits such linking only if the
entire combination fits its criteria of freedom. The Lesser General
Public License permits more lax criteria for linking other code with
the library."

--Daniel Remenak