Winelib debugging with eclipse in fc4

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Fri Jan 6 16:18:19 CST 2006

A while back I posted a question about how to get debugging working with
eclipse in fedora 4. I am having some success, so if anyone else out
there is interested here's how it is set up.

In regedit:

* disabled auto winedbg by renaming AeDebug
        I changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows
        NT/Current Version/AeDebug to AeDebug-DISABLED. Without this gdb
        doesn't seem to be able to get a hold of SEGFAULTs.

In eclipse's Run/Debug dialog box:

* set the c/c++ application to WINE_SRC/loader/wine-pthread
        WINE_SRC points to a compiled version of wine. For me, I got the
        wine src rpm and ran rpmbuild -bb. This is where main() is,
        which eclipse looks for at start up.

* put your .exe.so file on the Arguments tab

* choose the GDB Debugger on the Debugger tab

* add WINE_SRC on the Source tab as a "Filesystem directory with
subdirectories"

The only weirdness so far is that sometimes (not always) the debugger
suspends when a new thread is created. I just resume (F8) past that. And
I am not sure what impact bypassing wine-preload's exec-shield
workaround will have on me. More on that if I learn more.

But I gotta say that having a functioning IDE with integrated debugging
on Linux is a major relief and, for me at least, a long time coming!

... mo

PS: I installed FC4, and then did yum update. eclipse is version 3.1.1
updated from the eclipse UI from the version that came with FC4.