Please read: Wine(HQ) needs a reorganization (AppDB, Bugzilla, etc.)

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Jan 9 22:42:06 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 01:55 +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> On 1/10/06, S. Schauenburg <s.schauenburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2. Create a Wine forum. This solves the problem of users asking the
> > same questions over and over again. Here also the "comments" of the
> > AppDB could be centralized (because most of them aren't really
> > comments)
> >
> > 3. With a forum in place, the user-mailing list could be dropped and
> > maybe also even the devel-mailing list.
>
> I think a forum is a good idea, but the lists are invaluable. Please
> don't remove the lists. I think you'll find many developers prefer
> mailing lists anyway, as they can use their own mail clients and
> setups and have the posts delivered to them instead of having to go to
> some forum.

Forums are absolutely a good idea.  I can't tell you how many
Wine-related posts I find on places like the Ubuntu forums,
Linux-gamers, and even Something Awful's Serious Hardware/Software Crap
forum.  The reason is the same reason I post to these forums - they're
far more usable, well-sorted, and accessable than a mailing list.

I brought this up about a year ago when I pointed out that the whole
reason websites with forums such as Frankscorner had popped up was
because we weren't supplying forums at winehq, but nothing ever happened
because of it as we assumed that fixing the AppDB would take care of
that problem.  It hasn't - there's still a lot to say about Wine, and it
ain't happening there.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie

Thanks,