[wined3d] Status update: Converting Wined3d to use WGL instead of GLX

Aric Cyr aric.cyr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 06:12:15 CST 2006

Hi Stefan,

On 1/12/06, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi,
> > Unfortunately no.  At first this was my plan as well and I had only ported
> > wined3d.  However upon testing any d3d8 or d3d7 apps, they all broke.  The
> > reason was that they are already partially using wined3d and the mix of glX
> > and wgl calls was causing many problems.  That's when I realized that it
> > would be all or nothing.
> That is odd: As far as I know, d3d8 only loads WineD3D to load the DX
> configuration. And I've found no sign of WineD3D usage in the old ddraw libs.

Although technically there doesn't seem to be any links between ddraw
and wined3d, it is possible for a 3D app to use d3d8 with ddraw.  In
fact this is exactly what 3DMark2001SE does, and it is the reason I
ended up porting ddraw as well.  Of course I would have preferred
having to only modify wined3d, but I wanted to prevent as many
regressions as possible when I finally submit my changes, so I went
ahead and did ddraw along with d3d8 and wined3d.

Regards,
  Aric

--
Aric Cyr <Aric.Cyr at gmail dot com>    (http://acyr.net)